Wednesday 17 September 2008

Tropic Thunder

New film review time. Today it's the turn of "Tropic Thunder" to fall under the increasingly cynical eyes of me. Take it away, myself.

Tropic Thunder (2008)



I knew "Tropic Thunder" was going to be my type of film when it started with some fake trailers. They were all brilliant, but I think the Kirk Lazarus (Robert Downey Jr.) starring "Satan's Alley" was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. It was a great cameo by Tobey Maguire too. Gay Gregorian monks? Played by Iron Man and Spider-Man? Hell yes! I could hardly breathe amidst the lip biting and rosary bead caressing.

"They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box."

So onto the actual film. The basic story is that with the film's budget and actors spiralling out of control, it is decided that something must be done. Therefore, the prima donna actors are dumped in the real jungle still under the pretense that everything they see is part of the film. I really liked the story. When one takes a step back it is easy to see how ridiculous Hollywood can be. What I liked about "Tropic Thunder" is that it nails some of these observations. Example? Kirk Lazarus and his "method acting"- it allows for lines like "I don't read the script, the script reads me" which I'm pretty sure I've heard said in all seriousness in an interview or something.

Whilst we're talking about Kirk Lazarus, Downey Jr. steals the show. I know I wasn't the only one walking out of the cinema doing Sgt. Osiris impressions (Lazarus' character). Hats off to the man by pulling himself up from the depths to do things like "Iron Man" and now "Tropic Thunder"- two of the most fun films I've seen in years. This is not to discredit the other actors though. OK, Ben Stiller is still playing Derek Zoolander with a few details changed each time and I felt Jack Black and Nick Nolte were underused but everyone was great. I'm fairly sure I'm the only one who picked up on Black's channeling of the late Chris Farley too.

There are also references many other films (this is so my sort of flick). "Apocalypse Now" being the main one but there are sneaky references to "Nutty Professor II: The Klumps" and even "Raiders of the Lost Ark". There are so many cameos in this film it's unreal- Tobey Maguire, Tom Cruise, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jon Voight and Tyra Banks to name but a few.

"I'm just like a little boy, playin' with his dick when he's nervous."

I remember asking "Where have all the good comedies gone?" in my review of "Meet The Spartans". Well, this is a good comedy. I won't go as far to say that it will go down as one of the all -time comedic greats, 'cos there are a few flaws that stop it from perfection. However, none of them big enough to be mentioned here. The theatrical poster for "Tropic Thunder" instructs you to "get some" and I heartily recommend you do.

Phew! Review done. Now if you'll excuse me- I'm off to drink some "Booty Sweat"


No comments: