Wednesday 8 October 2008

A Knight's Tale

Goddamn promotions. They'll be the death of me. Every single time I see "2 for £20" or something similar, I creep over like a starved film-goblin and eagerly check out what's on offer. I have no self control. Anyway, said phenomenon happened today and I picked up "A Knight's Tale". Let the anachronistic mayhem begin!

A Knight's Tale (2001)


I remember watching this film years ago and really enjoying it. I loved the fact that it was deliberately anachronistic, what with things like a Medieval London Eye making an appearance. It's a barmy idea, but then nearly all of the great ideas are. I mean, when you really analyse them, films like "Star Wars" and "Back to the Future" are fucking loopy.

"He's blond, he's pissed, he'll see you in the lists, Lichtenstein!"

It's odd watching "A Knight's Tale" in a post "Dark Knight/deceased Ledger" world. It's a bit of a bitter pill. Firstly, there's an undercurrent of sadness that Ledger has actually gone. I get this with quite a few films these days- especially the early Bonds with the irreplaceable Desmond Llewelyn as "Q". Anyway, I digress. The point I'm trying to make is that even though I would count myself as a Ledger fan (not purely because of the Joker either) I am not reviewing this all misty-eyed and the like just because the guy is dead.

On the other hand, now I've seen Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain" and "The Dark Knight" I know he can do better. At times, I'm ashamed to say it seemed like he was phoning it in. Fair enough, one could argue that the script doesn't exactly allow for fantastic dramatic moments but the supporting cast of Mark Addy, Paul Bettany and Alan Tudyk do extremely well with the little they are given. In fact, talking of Mr. Bettany, I think he is fantastic as Chaucer. I love the fact he seems to be having a lot of fun in the role, stealing scenes effortlessly as he goes along. That's not to discredit any of the other actors though. I'm a big fan of Addy and Tudyk in this film as well.

The film is surprisingly funny too, especially when Chaucer and Wat are having a go at each other. The real triumph of the film though is the soundtrack. Who'd have thought Thin Lizzy, AC/DC and David Bowie would somehow fit into the Medieval setting? It's brilliant. Add into that some cracking action courtesy of the jousting tournaments and you've got a recipe for some lighthearted fun.

"Yes, Master Falhurst, I'm well aware a good fonging is on the way."

That's the thing. "A Knight's Tale" is fun and damn entertaining. Sure, the plot's hardly original but who the Hell cares when you've got the splintering of lances and a rockin' soundtrack to listen to? Not me, that's for sure.


No comments: