Friday 16 October 2009

High Fidelity

Another Rob Bender review. This time it's about an indie film, just for a change...


Ben


First things first. I love the book from which this film is taken. Nick Hornby is a fantastic writer, and this is one of my most favourite books of all time. So I approached this film with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. I’ve been burnt by adaptations of novels before (I’m looking at you, Harry Potter 4!). And also because the film moved the story from the charming hidden alleyways of London to the backstreets of Chicago.


High Fidelity (2000)


As it happens, it doesn’t matter. The hidden alleyways of Chicago are as equally charming as those of London. High Fidelity tells the story of Rob Gordon (John Cusack), an owner of a delightfully obscure record store (think ‘Spillers’ in Cardiff), and how he deals with the breakup of the relationship with his long-term girlfriend Laura (Iben Hjejle). As well as being a music fanatic, Rob seems to have an almost obsessive compulsive nature when it comes to making lists, particularly of music, so it is natural that this is how the character deals with his break-up. At the beginning of the film, following the breakup, Rob lists his ‘Chronological Top Five Emotional Break-Ups of All Time.’ The film then follows Rob trying to run his record store, whilst getting over xxx, and meeting up with the ‘Top Five’ in order to see where he has been going wrong in relationships.


“What really matters is what you like, not what you are like... Books, records, films - these things matter. Call me shallow but it's the f****** truth.”


The script is hilarious, and Cusack is fantastic as Rob. He repeatedly breaks the fourth wall, often whilst standing with other characters, to explain to the audience his feelings and thought processes, or what is about to happen in the film. This is a nice touch as it brings the audience in to the story. At first I thought the perhaps the other characters, in particular Rob’s exes, could have done with some more fleshing out. But upon consideration, I realised that the film is meant to be from Rob’s perspective; he tells the audience what the women were like when he was with them (particularly his adoration and romanticism of Catherine Zeta-Jones’ Charlie Nicholson), and then we, along with Rob, see what they are like now. This works as it shows how hindsight and distance makes you look at relationships.


“Don't tell anyone you don't own "Blonde on Blonde". It's gonna be okay”


As well as Cusack fitting the main character extremely well (as if he was made for the role), the other parts are played well. I particularly liked Zeta-Jones, and Lisa Bonet as Marie DeSalle. Jack Black steals the film in every scene he is in as Barry, one of the employees at Rob’s record store, playing what could easily be the older brother of his School of Rock character. There is also a fantastic cameo from Bruce Springsteen. The only person who I feel isn’t as good as the remaining characters is Tim Robbins as Ian/Ray, Laura’s new partner. I don’t feel that the character is particularly convincing.


“Should I bolt every time I get that feeling in my gut when I meet someone new? Well, I've been listening to my gut since I was 14 years old, and frankly speaking, I've come to the conclusion that my guts have shit for brains.”


Overall, I love the film, and it is a fantastic adaptation. Perhaps that says something about Hornby’s writing, as About A Boy is another good adaptation. The characters are well acted, and are all people I wouldn’t mind being friends with. Except Ian/Ray.

And so, in tribute to the story, here are my top five things about this film:

1. A fantastic story.

2. Great soundtrack.

3. The cameo from The Boss.

4. A good and faithful adaptation.

5. Rob’s record collection, which I would just love to own even half of.



Rob Bender

No comments: