Saturday 8 November 2008

Jurassic Park

I would like you to consider this review to be the tell-tale drip of water that emerges through the dam wall before the whole thing comes crashing down. What I mean by this is that a fuckmothering ton of reviews are coming your way. I would also like to dedicate this review to Michael Crichton, author of the original novel who died recently after a long battle with cancer. Rest in peace, Mr. Crichton.

Jurassic Park (1993)


"Jurassic Park" was released at the perfect time for me. I was about 7 when it first came out and at the time I was obsessed with dinosaurs. I knew all the names and had plastic models which I played with a lot of the time on my own (I don't remember any friends, seems I was a lonely child...) I had heard of this film called "Jurassic Park" and begged my parents to take me to see it. However, my parents deemed it too scary and I had to wait until over a year later to watch it on VHS.

"What've they got in there, King Kong?"

The basic story is so famous I don't think you need me to recap it. Anyway, I've always loved the plot. I'm a big fan of the ol' "Frankenstein" man meddling with science idea. The same goes for the "theme park gone awry" idea that seems to be a favourite of Crichton's.

The special effects were groundbreaking, no doubt about it. The good news is, they still hold up today, although thanks to advances in technology, they aren't quite as awe-inspiring as they once were. Despite this, you can't help but break out into a grin as Dr. Grant (Sam Neill) and Dr. Sattler (Laura Dern) first encounter the Brachiosaurus. It's one of those moments in a film where you just know it has gone from merely entertaining to potentially classic.

Even though I've seen the film many, many times before I still jumped at the jumpy parts, mostly the ones involving the raptors. I think the raptors are incredibly well done in this film. They're fast, scary and deadly- they're like the Jurassic answer to a ninja- and everyone knows you don't fuck with a ninja. It's also nice to see Spielberg go back to his "Jaws" roots with this film as some of the "extended dread" sequences i.e. the T.Rex's escape bit are fantastically realised. It's hard not to feel a little apprehensive when the goat in the T.Rex's pen has mysteriously gone missing.

"The lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, uh... staggers me."

I really could go on and on about this film. It's brilliant and to me defines the term "blockbuster". Before I go on to my inevitable conclusion (if you don't know what it's going to be by now, you probably have trouble figuring out how doors work) I just want to mention John Williams' music. For me, the main themes he did for this film are not just great examples of the man's work but some of the greatest movie musical pieces ever. The graceful, majestic theme in particular is so damn beautiful and moving I honestly think I could never get tired of it.

Anyway, "Jurassic Park" gets a full:

No comments: