Sunday 30 November 2008

Wayne's World

I'm not sure why, but I fancied watching some early 90's catchphrase-driven comedy. What better than "Wayne's World"? Schwing!

Wayne's World (1992)


It's films like this that make me realise how stupid I was as a kid. I remember thinking "Schwing!" was the funniest phrase I'd ever heard and parroting it for a good many months. I got beaten up a lot as a child.

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

The story follows two slackers Wayne (Mike Myers) and Garth (Dana Carvey) and their hosting of a low-budget public access cable show. Things change when a big time producer (Rob Lowe) tries to change the show for a bigger audience. It's a surprisingly sharp script considering all people seem to remember about this film are the outdated catchphrases.

It's nice to see Myers in a pre-"Love Guru" capacity and remember that he was funny at some point. You'll be pleased to know that the "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene in the car still holds up. I think I probably got more out of this now than I did as a kid. There are some great lines such as: "Wayne, did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and became a girl bunny?" as well as some great parodies that I didn't get in my ankle-biter days, such as the "Terminator 2" scene. Plus, having Alice Cooper show a great historical knowledge of Milwaukee is genius.

It's not all great though, the worn out catchphrases get grating very quickly and some of the references such as the "Laverne and Shirley" scene whizzed past my head faster that I could say "inferior American culture"(I realise the contradiction in terms here by actually knowing what they were alluding to, but I didn't know before and I looked it up on the Internet, OK?)

"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored."

I know I shouldn't like this film. It's stupid, silly and virtually plotless. However, I found myself actually enjoying it. Damn my feeble brain!





No comments: