Sunday 30 November 2008

Wayne's World 2

Opening paragraph. Possible clever wordplay. Unnecessary mention of the film I'm going to review as the title is both above and below this very writing...

Wayne's World 2 (1993)


The one golden rule of Hollywood (apart from it not being who you know, but who you blow) is that if it makes money, there's bound to be a sequel. I know you people and what jerks you are so I'm guessing you've thought of about 10 different one-off films that made a shit-tonne of cash. Well...shut up.

"Oh! Come on! Do you think I'm a gulla-bull? Or even a gulla-calf?"

This sequel picks up where the first "Wayne's World" left off, except now Wayne (Myers) and Garth (Carvey) have now decided to stage a rock festival. Cue lots of daft lines and celebrity cameos. Much like the first one, the plot is hardly the main focus of the film. Thing is, I enjoyed this one a lot more than the first one. Apparently, general consensus states that it's the other way round, but then again, people voted for Hitler in their thousands (IMPORTANT NOTE: The author of this did not just compare something as trivial as a disagreement over a film sequel to the atrocities of the Second World War and the Holocaust- it's all in your head.)

It's odd that I should like it more than the original as it's pretty much the same. We have the same catchphrases, same use of the "Mission: Impossible" theme and the same multiple endings gag. Somewhere in my head, Sensible Ben (note the capital letters) was getting exasperated at an all-too predictable Village People YMCA joke, but for some reason I wasn't listening to him and still laughed at the pretty colours and the synchronised dancing. I'm pretty sure these films have a direct feed into my inner idiot.

"Yes, I have a question. When did you turn into a nutbar?"

That's about all I can say about it because it's basically the first one with added bells and whistles. I reckon if you read the above and combine it with the non- scene specific comments I said about the original, you've got a pretty definitive review of the "Wayne's World" series. Yes, it's very stupid and I'm very lazy- but you love me for it.






No comments: